Skip to main content

Blog 2.3 - Writing Emails [Izzah] Gr12

Writing polite emails.

This week's AEP started with a game called Wordle, which had a unique twist of presenting two words at the same time. The topic of this lesson was how to write a respectful email to someone or a business. It can be challenging to convey tone or emotion through an email, as paralinguistic techniques such as body language and facial expressions are not visible in text. Therefore, we explored how to write a formal email using more respectful and professional language to avoid coming off as rude. So in this short blog, I will be discussing the techniques I've learned in writing more respectful emails.

---------------------------------

Greetings

"Good morning, this is [name] from the department of [state]."

There are several ways to politely greet someone, when an email is first written with a greeting, the reader is then able to familiarize with what this might be about, if there is no greeting, often the reader becomes uninterested and the email can come off as arrogant and rude.

Concise and Clear Language

"We would like to address the situation that occurred last week."

When starting your email, it is important to briefly explain what the email will be about, this way the reader will be more prepared and can understand the situation and subject of the email more clearly, which would certainly prevent any stress and frustration on the person reading the email.

Thank you.

"Thank you for your time, we hope you enjoy..."

Saying thank you is rare these days, a simple phrase can completely change the tone of the email to be more appreciative of the reader, this allows us to put the reader in a better mood for making negotiations or any other business or personal decisions. 

---------------------------------

These are just some of the many ways that could significantly improve your email. I feel this will greatly help me apply the skills to any emails to university applications or even a simple email to a person of authority.

Comments

  1. Thank you for your detailed blog. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The "Queen of Vocab" - Blog 1.5 - Aire M.

Hello... to pretty much no one. Probably no one except Miss Disa reads these blogs, no matter how much effort I put into them. I really like writing these blogs, as they are my way of venting all my feelings and thoughts out into the void. With that being said, here's the blog :) Yeah, sorry for the short intro today. I'm feeling sleepy 😪   10/02/23 Today in AEP, we used the whole 5th period trying to complete Squaredle , and in the last 10 minutes, Miss told us we'd get 7 merits each if we finished. It didn't seem like a long way off, as we just had 14 words left. We didn't get the 7 merits, but we only had... 7 words left? Still pretty good. In the second period, Miss Disa explained how exams can trick you. Well, to be more specific, questions that, if you didn't read the instructions, you could get wrong. And those questions were very easy. All you had to do was read the instructions. But somehow, even the smartest people can get tricked. (Honestly, Summer,...

Peanuts!! - Blog 2.1 - Aire M.

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the world of Blogger! I am your writer, Aire Marcellana, presenting to you a blog of quality writing, containing a girl's simple hopes and dreams. Hopes and dreams crushed knowing like 5 people reads these. I do still find fun in writing these, however, especially since I love to write. Our first few lessons in the 2nd term proved to be quite fun and entertaining to write about. I got a bit stressed on our first lesson, but all in all, a fantastic start to the new term. Reflecting on last term, although I did put effort into AEP, I didn't prioritize it as much as I should've, even if it is a minor subject. I am grateful I got a good grade, yet I have high hopes for the terms to come. 11/06/23 We started off our term 2 with some good old Squaredle . Grades 7, 9, and 10 have already paved the way to finishing the Squaredle by having already completed the easy words. With 63 out of 79 words settled, our class went on a journey to get all of th...

Short. Sweet. Simple! - Chloe Lloveras- Blog 1 T1- AEP10

      Back at it again! The new school year has begun and AEP along with it. But this year, it comes with a twist: a much more jam-packed schedule and more essay-writing. Did I mention that the vocabulary quizzes are back and that blogs will be more frequent now? No? Well, you're in for a treat!      We hadn't even met for the first session yet, but we were already juggling assessments like a syllabus quizlet, a "what's your English level?" test, and even a knowledge quiz about IELTS writing task one, something I haven't encountered before. When our first meeting did commence, it wasn't until a week later due to the heavy rainfall and strong winds so classes were canceled. As you might've guess, we were already behind and AEP hadn't even begun yet!  Before starting, Miss Disa established the basics for the new school year: 1. Every meeting will begin with a word game with a five-minute time limit. If we don't finish in time, we'll still mov...